As you may know that Mekong Organics PTY LTD has created internationally and nationally social impacts in the area of organic agriculture & food system movement. We have implemented many international community-based projects in the fields of organic farming, certification and trade for very smallholder farmers to large companies and industries between Australia and Southeast Asia.
We identified that the home organic garden is essential in securing fresh, nutritious vegetables for a healthy family. Practising organic vegetable gardens at home helps to reduce stress and build social networks, better for the mental health of the aged people, young and children.
Mekong Organics piloted this initiative with ZERO DOLLARS to support especially for those Vietnamese parents who have a short or long-term visit to their children in Australia while they want to experience growing healthy food for their children. We started with two Vietnamese families: one in Macgregor and one in Gungahlin in ACT Canberra. We offer free consultation services and advice:
- Examine the soils of your location and advise how to prepare good soils for an organic vegetable garden;
- We advise growing seasonal crops which include Asian vegetables, and advise which crop is for each season.
- We advise making compost from kitchen waste.
- We advise buying low-cost used materials to make the fences for some Asian vegetables such as long bitter melon or gourd.
- We advise growing Asian herbs in their garden.
- We also advise growing fruit trees such as juju bee or persimmon.
- We share some Asian vegetable seeds.
- We also expect to receive the seeds from your garden to diversify the vegetable varieties.
If you need consultation, please contact Dr Van Kien Nguyen, Director of Mekong Organics.
Mobile: +61 466 999 042
Zalo: +61 466 999 042
A half year, Mr Thang revisited Canberra, and immediately he established the autumn leafy vegetable crop such as mustard, mint, strawberry, and lemongrass…
Mustard is growing well.
Family Number 2 in Gungahlin ACT Canberra
It is noted that each family has plenty of land in the backyard, which can be turned into an organic vegetable garden for safe and nutritious food.
Vegetable growing in Canberra materials – Vietnamese version for reference
We are collecting more innovative stories about organic vegetable family garden in Canberra ACT region for sharing with the public.