Mekong Organics PTY LTD, a registered company under the Corporation ACT 2001 and is taken to be registered in ACT, with principal office at 35 Victor Chang Street, Macgregor, Canberra ACT, Australia, hereinafter referred to as “Mekong Organics”. The Australian Company Number is 632786184 which was registered on the eighth day of April 2019. The mission of Mekong Organics is linking organic agriculture, nutrition and health for improving well being of people in the Mekong region by translating science into policies and practices; linking people to people between Australia and Southeast Asian countries in promoting organic agriculture and sustainable development in Asia Pacific Region.
The Mekong Organics was initially established in 2018 to provide a knowledge platform linking organic agriculture, ecological farming and agro-biodiversity movements in the Mekong Region and Australia. The platform was initiated by Dr Van Kien Nguyen, a research fellow on agro-ecology from the Fenner School of Environment & Society, the Australian National University and Research Center for Rural Development of An Giang University. Following receipt of the Rod May Award funded by NASAA (National Association of Sustainable Agriculture Australia) for contributions to organic agriculture, Kien participated in the 2017 congress of the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM) in New Delhi India, November 2017. Dr Kien says that Rod May, and the opportunity of participating in the congress helped inspire him to promote an organic agriculture movement for Vietnam and other Mekong countries, as well as linking these with Australian organic agriculture.
Key foundation’s activities:
- Undertake research for development in the fields of organic farming, sustainable agriculture and climate change adaptation.
- Share knowledge, skills, practices about global organic agriculture.
- Promote scientific research on organic agriculture in the Mekong countries.
- Link Australian Organic Agriculture Industry with Vietnam, Mekong countries and Southeast Asia.
- Provide platform for farmers, students, private sectors, and government extension staffs to share their organic farming practices.
- Provide short training courses for farmers, students, business and local government and community on organic farming practices, value chain, valued added processing and business skills for growers.
- Host local, national, international workshops and regional forums on organic agriculture research and development in the Mekong region
- Consult international organic certifications (NASAA/NCO, USDA/EU/JAS) for growers, grower groups, and processors.
- Organize study tours on organic agriculture in Vietnam and Australia.