Mekong Organics is posited in the Capital City of Australia, Canberra. It is 10-minute drive to University of Canberra (UC), the top 10 in Australia, and 15-minute drive to the Australian National University (ANU), the top 1 of the Australian Universities, and CSIRO (the top innovation centre of Australia) and remarkably close to the Embassy Area where Embassy of many countries are located. This is a great resource for networking and innovation outreach. Mekong Organics has been networked with these organizations to deliver great innovative educational program to promote sustainable organic regenerative agriculture for Southeast Asia.
Mekong Organics PTY LTD, a registered company under the Corporation ACT 2001 and is taken to be registered in ACT, with principal office at 35 Victor Chang Street, Macgregor, Canberra ACT, Australia, hereinafter referred to as “Mekong Organics”. The Australian Company Number is 632786184 which was registered on the eighth day of April 2019. Dr Van Kien Nguyen is the Director of the Mekong Organics. Our core visiting members are from different countries: Australia, Vietnam, Southeast Asian countries, and Europe.
Our vision Mekong Organics becomes a prestigious direction for small scale farmers in the Mekong region. Mekong Organics is to enrich wellbeing of many people through transforming applicable scientific information, delivering interactive digital education and facilitating cultural connections, so that we inspire organic farmers, traders and consumers.
Our mission Mekong Organics is dedicated to: Informing applicable scientific information and knowledge of organic food production, certification, and consumption to many people. Training organic food production, certification, and trade interactively for farmers, traders, and consumers. Connecting people and people, enterprises to enterprises, communities to communities and country to country.
Origin: The Mekong Organics was initially established in 2018 to provide a knowledge platform linking organic agriculture, nutrition and health in the Mekong Region and Australia. The platform was initiated by Dr Van Kien Nguyen, an honorary senior research fellow on agro-ecology from the Fenner School of Environment & Society, the Australian National University and the former Director of Research Center for Rural Development of An Giang University. Following receipt of the Rod May Award funded by NASAA (National Association of Sustainable Agriculture Australia) for contributions to organic agriculture, Kien participated in the 2017 congress of the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM) in New Delhi India, November 2017. Dr Kien says that Rod May, and the opportunity of participating in the congress helped inspire him to promote an organic agriculture movement for Vietnam and other Mekong countries, as well as linking these with Australian organic agriculture.
Key foundation’s activities:
- Undertake research for development in the fields of organic farming, sustainable agriculture and climate change adaptation.
- Share knowledge, skills, practices about global organic agriculture.
- Promote scientific research on organic agriculture in the Mekong countries.
- Link Australian Organic Agriculture Industry with Vietnam, Mekong countries and Southeast Asia.
- Provide platform for farmers, students, private sectors, and government extension staffs to share their organic farming practices.
- Provide short training courses for farmers, students, business and local government and community on organic farming practices, value chain, valued added processing and business skills for growers.
- Host local, national, international workshops and regional forums on organic agriculture research and development in the Mekong region
- Consult international organic certifications (NASAA/NCO, USDA/EU/JAS) for growers, grower groups, and processors.
- Organize study tours on organic agriculture in Vietnam and Australia.